Mr Vasta today congratulated Bonner’s successful applicants for the Australian Government’s Local Sporting Champions (LSC) program at a special presentation ceremony in Wynnum.
The LSC program provides $500 grants to young sportsmen and women aged 12-18 to assist them with the costs of attending state, national and international sports championships.
“I’m proud to support our talented young sports stars and help them achieve their sporting dreams,” Mr Vasta said.
“I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming championships and I look forward to hearing the outcome of your events.”
Local recipients for Round 3 of the 2017-18 Local Sporting Champions grants who attended:
• James Hardy – Burbank – Gymnastics – Austrian Future Cup
• Jordan Howells – Mackenzie – Basketball – QLD State Champs.
• Mitchell Tinsley – Tingalpa – Swimming – Pacific School Games
• Elliot Weber – Wakerley – Swimming – 2018 Georgina Hope Aust. Champs.
• Jaymie Wood – Mackenzie – Archery – International Competition
• Taylah Spall – Manly West – Water Polo – 18 & under National Aged Champs.
• Alysha Gallagher – Carindale – Swimming – 2018 Georgina Hope Aust. Champs.
• Roland Skepton – Manly West – Baseball – School Sport Aust. Baseball Champs.
Carindale swimmer Alysha Gallagher says she will be making good use of the grant and buying a brand new swimming suit for the Championships next week.
“This money will allow me to buy another professional swimming suit for the competition in Sydney next week. The suits make a huge difference and shave seconds off my swim times but they’re almost $500 a pop and they wear out after about 40 swims.
“Every year I go through so many suits at an enormous cost to my parents. I’m so thankful to have been awarded this grant to ease some of the pressure on my family.”
Further information on the LSC program is available at www.ausport.gov.au/participating/local_sporting_champions