Federal Member for Bonner Ross Vasta today thanked everyone who has put in nominations for the second annual Bonner Volunteer Awards.
The Bonner Volunteer Awards recognise individuals and groups that have demonstrated outstanding volunteer qualities, made a significant and lasting contribution to the community, and set a good example for fellow volunteers and inspired others to volunteer.
“It’s great to hear about so many dedicated and hard-working volunteers in Bonner, especially during National Volunteer Week this week,” Mr Vasta said.
“These men and women are making a real difference in our community and they all deserve to be recognised.”
Mr Vasta will be presenting this year’s winners with their awards at a special ceremony on 1 June 2018.
Nominees this year include:
• Brad Abell – Vice-President and under-10s coach at Carindale Cougars Junior AFL Club;
• David Harvey – Coach, manager, game official, and club referee at Bayside United Football Club;
• Jason Lavender – President and coach at Bayside Jets Basketball Club in Carina;
• Lyn Felschow – Holland Park Meals on Wheels volunteer and church volunteer;
• Marian Sheffield – Community volunteer for a number of clubs in the Wynnum-Manly area including Acacia Bayside Swimming Club and Annette Roselli Dance Academy;
• Michael Lakeman – Leader at Manly Lota Scouts Group;
• Phil Young – Assists elderly people at local Carindale complex;
• Bruce Meers – Carindale local and life-long volunteer for a number of local charities and clubs;
• Gloria Guthrie – Volunteer at Mackenzie State Special School library;
• Jacqueline Park – Volunteer reading tutor at Upper Mount Gravatt State School;
• John Power – Volunteer at St John Vianney Catholic Parish of Manly and Gumdale;
• Alex Wright – Mansfield local and long-time volunteer for a number of clubs and organisations including Volunteer in Policing and Mansfield Neighbourhood Watch;
• Joseph Dawson – Rosies Friends on the Street volunteer;
• Carindale Cougars JAFL Club – A small, grassroots football club that has grown to over 100 members on the back of many dedicated Bonner parents who volunteer their time with the club;
• Gumdale Hub – Linda Pascoe has brought the community together to fight crime in the area through this local Facebook page;
• Making a Difference Team – This Manly West-based team regularly helps and organises donated items for the homeless or people trying to restart their lives.